Pages

Monday, August 31, 2020

What's the most common beetle you haven't seen?

A couple of months ago one of the beetlers on Twitter posed the question "what is the most common beetle you haven't yet seen?"

At the time I think I said that for me it was one of the common staphs, Tachyporus obtusum. But I guess it depends how one defines common. That particular staph probably occurs in big numbers but you are probably most likely to see one by suction sampling. Other 'common' species are probably easier to find...

Whilst on holiday last week I bumped into a really common species that I haven't even clocked I'd not yet seen!

Picture the scene. Walking along the coastal path around Flamborough head. Steep chalk cliffs to my right and on my left fairly nondescript arable fields. Kids up ahead.


In quick succession two Pterostichus beetles cross the path and I take a peak at them. P. melanarius. A really common species across most of the UK but not one I have ever laid eyes on before. I guess I don't do much around arable fields which is where these are easily encountered but surprising that I'd not seen these before.


The rest of the walk was spectacular but I still need to see T. obtusum. ðŸ˜•

In other news, whilst I was down the garden this morning my wife appeared and said there was a big moth sat on the side of our shed. I predicted a Red Underwing but on looking I found this sitting there.


 Bizarrely, the second garden record after my first in 2016. Happy days.

1 comment:

  1. I just swiped the common weevil Parethelcus pollinarius from nettles yesterday and discovered it was a lifer for me. Hence, two days back, it would have been that I guess!

    ReplyDelete