Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2020

We've got the hay so let's roll

Once again this year, I let some of the grass in the garden grow after it's initial spring cut. It's not very diverse and there are still too many nutrients going in to it but it is slowly getting vetch and other flowering plants in amongst the grasses. It also attracts notably more butterflies, flies and grasshoppers than other bits of the garden during the summer months

Last weekend I strimmed it and then raked the dry grass to make a separate pile next to my various piles of detritus at the bottom of the garden. Each pile appears to have a suite of different species. Although the fruit attracts mainly wasps!

Far left is the strimmed dry grass, then grass cuttings, windfall fruit and finally some thicker, woodier stuff.


I had a quick poke through the new pile at lunchtime to see what I could find, and there was definitely activity of the beetle variety already happening. In fact in 5 minutes I easily found three new species of staph for the garden including one new one for me.

First up was this Quedius semiobscurus. It's a reasonably widespread and common species of open environments, apparently on drier soils. Although my garden soil isn't that dry.


The aedeagus is distinct too making things much easier. Although this species keys easily without it, it's good to confirm some. Last time I saw this one was from winter tussocking.


The second species was Quedius levicollis, similarly widespread but also found on damper soils. I've found this a few times before.


The third new garden species (and the one that was new for me) was the rather stunning Ocypus aeneocephalus. The image doesn't do it justice but the bronzy hairs give it a real metallic appearance making it very distinctive as it crawled through the dried grass looking for prey.


I will continue to check the piles every week to see what changes. It's a really quick and easy way to see stuff throughout the year. I just need a big pile of wood chips now.....

The post title comes from the new single by Arab Strap. Their first new material in 15 years is an absolute belter and it's been on constant repeat in my house since it's release earlier this week. Basically a song about shagging and getting old, done in Arab Strap's own inimitable way. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. You've certainly got some splendid piles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the best bits of getting old is piles.....

      Delete