Pages

Thursday, August 6, 2020

'Cause if I change my strike and I'm fly

A day off with kids today to cover school holidays and drag them away from the ever present screens. I decided to head into East Anglia proper and pay another visit to Lakenheath RSPB reserve. The three of us visited just before lockdown so it seemed fitting to return for a repeat visit.

There were only a few other folk there, mainly long lensers for the bitterns and cranes. As we approached Far Fen we heard the latter calling and had brief views of three birds flying across and landing. But despite carrying my bins these were the only birds I looked at.

I was paying more attention to plants this time. The species I wanted to see and one that was new for me was Large-flowered Hemp-nettle Galeopsis speciosa. It was easy to spot once I knew the rough area it was in (Thanks Busta). I've yet to work out how to get decent plant pics so I apologise for these awful images in advance. Bit at least you can tell what it is.


There was also a fair amount of Bifid Hemp-nettle Galeopsis bifida about. 


Throughout the walk we were constantly buzzed by flies and one son got bitten. Determined to see the positive side I flicked the net a few times and managed to catch two species that I have seen before but have never recorded so get added to the fly list.

The first was Twin-lobed Deerfly Chrysops relictus. These really are amazing looking things once you get over the fact that the females want to sink their proboscis into your exposed flesh and cause you pain.

Just look at those eyes! What is the function of that colour pattern?
Shows perfectly why it's called the Twin-lobed Deerfly


The other fly was Notch-horned Cleg Haematopota pluvialis, probably the UK's most common and widely distributed horsefly.
Another one with crazy eye patterns!

These usually have match darker wing patterning but you can still make it out here.
And you can see the notch in the antenna that gives this species its name.

There were very few beetles to speak of except a handful of common species. My desire to go to an extra couple of sites with the extractor was thwarted by grumpy kids so will have to be done another time.

Today's blog title courtesy of Mr Thaws

No comments:

Post a Comment