Pages

Sunday, August 16, 2020

Sloppy seconds

Two new moth species for both me and the garden last night.

First was the large micro Palpita vitrealis, which appears to be a migrant from southern Europe. Looks similar to the Box-tree Moth but is more closely related to Mother of Pearl.


The second moth was one that I have longed to see since getting my first copy of Skinner as a 12 year old. Clifden Nonpareil Catocala fraxini. However, as next door's trap had one the night before I suspect that this one had just jumped the fence making it slightly less sweet. An absolute monster though and much bigger than I expected. It also is payback for the Convolvulus Hawkmoth that I sent in the opposite direction a few years previously.

Mothing is a funny old business!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent! Wonder how many extra hits you'll get thanks to the blog title...

    ReplyDelete