Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

Last chance saloon


Lock down is undoubtedly coming. Given the stupidity seen at various places this weekend, the government is going to have to act. You would have to be blind to not to see this coming.

So, all that being said I took the kids for a run around RSPB Lakenheath yesterday. 10 cars in the car park and everyone keeping their distance. Didn't get within 20 metres of anyone else.


The weather was cold but glorious, and the sun had real warmth and strength. And nature was on the move. This Pterostichus niger was walking along the main track and there were plenty of flies on the wing plus brimstone and peacock butterflies.


Poking about in fallen poplar logs I found a couple of Carabus granulatus getting ready to leave their winter hibernation sites.


There was also this Pied Shieldbug under one log looking rather resplendent in its monochromatic loveliness.


What are we all going to do whilst restrictions kick in? Firstly, find a way to live life with a restricted geography. All the grand plans for 2020 get ditched by default and new ones will have to be created. I suspect that I'll expand my horizons beyond beetles and look at other invert taxa and try out some new forms of trapping. Get a couple of vane traps out and try and pick some offal up from the butchers when I'm in for food to bait for carrion feeding beetles.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I have a reasonable garden and options up my sleeves. I suspect that my love of natural history will stop me going mad.

At least I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment