Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2019

An unsuccessful look for a crucifix

The latest issue of the Coleopterist has a paper about some recent records of the rather stunning ground beetle Panagaeus cruxmajor (otherwise known as the crucifix ground beetle) from along a stretch of the river Trent on the Lincs/Notts border. Lincolnshire coleopterist, Charlie Barnes was kind enough to suggest a couple of places to look and so last weekend I made a stop whilst driving from East Yorkshire back home to Cambridge.


I stopped at High Marnham and walked a little way north and then south for about an hour, checking under flood debris and bits of rubbish and looking in rotting logs and other bits of wood.

After about 90 mins the light was starting to go and I hadn't managed to find my quarry, so I made my way back to the car and carried on down the always lovely A1.

The trip wasn't a waste, however. I did manage to find two species of hemipteran and one beetle that were new for me.

Drymus sylvaticus

Liocoris tripustulatus

Oxypselaphus obscurus

I also found Agonum fuliginosum, Anchomenus dorsalis, Agonum thoreyi and Platynus assimilis

Agonum-tastic!!

I will have to return again for another look next winter or even better find my own along the river Cam.

2 comments:

  1. If you have any large tussocks stranded in standing flood water, cut them off as low as you can manage and shove the whole lot into a sieve. Might be another search technique that could work for this beast.

    ReplyDelete