Pages

Saturday, January 26, 2019

A restorative walk

I've had a bit of a shitty and stressful couple of weeks all in all and I've been feeling a bit overwhelmed by life. However, this week work took me to the Lake District for a day and I was lucky enough to get a couple of hours walk in exploring Swindale.

The RSPB is working here to restore the river back to its natural meandering ways after it was previously artificial straightened.  This work should slow water coming off the hills somewhat and help contribute to the prevention of downstream flooding. Nature is also benefiting.

After a few miles up and down the valley the world seemed to right itself somewhat. It's amazing to me how being outside, exercising and watching nature is a cure-all for the modern day blues. An important thing for us all to remember sometimes.






I wish I knew something about mosses and lichens as the trees and rocks were hooching with them.


There was this big impressive brown and orange thing on a rotting tree stump. I'm not even quite sure what it is!


 Ferns a plenty too but as to which one.......



Anyway, with ravens cronking in the distance and the light doing some magical things on the hills, I felt restored and rejuvenated, much like the river.

2 comments:

  1. Peltigera and Polypody. As for which...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Seth. A genus means that I can find out what to look for next time!!

      Delete