Pages

Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Who needs lures

Popped to the RSPB's The Lodge yesterday for the first time since October. Despite the large number of people, it was looking lovely and I realised that I'd been missing being there, especially at this time of year when the season is kicking off.

I had a quick look for tiger beetles but failed to see any but did find a few bits and pieces. As I was potting a bark beetle from a fence post I noticed a small micro moth sat there minding its own business. I took some pics and left it to enjoy the sunshine.

I thought I recognised it. In fact I been trying to lure one in my garden earlier in the week. It was Pammene giganteana aka the Early Oak Piercer. It has been found to be attracted to some of the pheremone lures sold for other species and has been picked up quite a bit this spring. Due to the lack of oaks at home I'd failed miserably so was nice to see one and doubly so without lures. Also only the 4th Bedfordshire record.


No comments:

Post a Comment