Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2021

Rationialising literature

I spent this afternoon tidying up my beetling desk and rearranging some book cases. Over the years I have accumulated a lot of books and natural history journals of various types and I decided to try and rationalise what I was keeping in order to free up some room and make better use of limited space.

I decided to get rid of all my copies of Birding Asia, Birding World and British Birds. I can pretty much categorically say that I will never look at them again. The chances of me ever doing much foreign birding again are pretty much zero so it just felt right to jettison the first of these. The others have been gathering dust for years and were just taking up space ad were never looked at. I did however find a home for my copies of Atropos with a fellow moth-er.

I also got rid of most of my collection of British Wildlife, but kept a few articles and issues with particularly interesting bits in. e.g. the two longhorn beetle issues. I tend to flick through each issue as it arrives before filing it away. In the future I will continue to get it but treat it more like a magazine and pass it on or recycling it after reading.

My collection of the Coleopterist remains as do a few other bits and bobs.

The new space meant that I could get all my beetle books (plus some interlopers) on a single shelf. Only two are missing as they are too big for this particular shelf and will have to sit elsewhere for now! 


It felt pleasing to have it all in one place, although it won't be long before they are in piles on the floor again after a particular speciose ID session! 

1 comment:

  1. Don't recognise some of those. Might need a list ;) Those old periodicals are hard to part with. Somehow they feel useful even if you know they aren't

    ReplyDelete