Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Additionality

A couple of new beetles ID'd today. One swept from the garden which was the very common and rather boring flea beetle Phylotreta nigripes. These have appeared in numbers in the garden over the last couple of days alongside P. nemorum and Sitona lineatus. I also had a garden tick in the form of Adalia bipunctata, the two-spot ladybird. I normally have to go to the edge of the village where the fields begin to find these.

The other new one for me was a staph. It is always pleasing to find a new one in your favourite family. This one came from last Saturday and the dead wood search. It's Gabrius splendidulus, another common one and differs from its congeners by preferring dead wood and being found under bark. This one had obviously read the same book as I had as that was exactly where it was. 


The aedeagus matches too which is always nice 😂

There are 12 species in this genus in the UK and this is only the second I've seen after G. breviventer which I've found a number of times whilst tussocking in wet grassland. 

No comments:

Post a Comment