Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2020

Spring sieving

And lo and behold the rain finally stopped and the sun came out....

The garden was part quagmire but I still managed to mow the lawn. Robins were in full song and several bumblebees were visiting flowering daffodils. It actually felt like spring might just be on its way. Temperatures look like remaining low and there's some more rain forecast this week, but for a couple of hours it felt like a restorative.

I had a quick bash through the compost heap to see what I could find.

Lots of beetles, apart from a Quedius picipes everything was on the small side. There were huge numbers of ptilids and dozens of Mycetaea subterranea.

Highlights were my first Cypha species. This will need dissecting t confirm species. They look like a cross between a trilobite and a punctuation mark!

 
One genus that I've been wanting to see for a while was Micropeplus and my first appeared in the form of M. fulvus. It looks like an armored battle tank. I'd love to know the function of all those ridges. Bonkers.


I think this aleoch is Nehemitropia lividipennis  but I need to dissect to confirm.


I also photographed a few spiders. The first is Harpactea hombergi the other two I'm still looking at... Any help gratefully received.




2 comments:

  1. Spiders are H. h, Neirene clathrata and an immature Philodromus.

    ReplyDelete