Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2021

When something's good it's never gone

So a disparate series of events have coincided to provide me with the perfect post inspiration this weekend. I'm more than a little indifferent about football but like many others I've been caught up in watching the Euros despite my better judgement. I've enjoyed what I've seen and have been particularly impressed by the England team and especially the manager's conduct in the face of some bloody awful behaviour, mainly from our current government and assorted cronies. It's been a breath of fresh air and a lesson in tolerance and inclusion. I really hope they do well against Italy but irrespective of the result they have already played a blinder.

So I was thinking about all this as I pottered about on a beach this week in Devon, looking for beetles and putting the world to rights in my head, when I came across several of these creatures under stones where the shingle hits the sandier firmer ground.


I was pretty confident it was a cockroach but knew nothing beyond that. I was helpfully pointed towards a guide to native species and from there it was simple to work out that these were female Ectobius panzeri otherwise known as Lesser Cockroach. 


More importantly it's a completely new order of insects for me in the UK. 

What's that you say? 

A whole NEW ORDER.

😂😂😂

No comments:

Post a Comment