Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2021

A larval tick and half a beetle

Whilst out and about today I decided to check some fallen poplar timber for a rather odd beetle, the very flat histerid Hololepta plana. First recorded from the UK in 2009 from several individuals found in Norfolk, this species has since spread widely in the south-east of England. It's been found in Ely and other places nearby so thought it was worth a shout.

Unfortunately I didn't find it but I did find two of these...

Basically the middle section of the beetle I was after. So it's a biological record (which is obviously good) but I had hoped to see one of these in the flesh. But at least I know they are in the vicinity. Plus there were lots of the lovely Bitoma crenata to look at


My new beetle of the day came in the form of a long-expected larval tick under some weathered bark of a standing poplar tree. My first Cobweb beetles Ctesias serra


These distinctive larvae feed on insect remains in spiders webs and the long hairs apparently help defend against attack from spiders. The adult beetles are rarely recorded but I wonder how easy it would be to keep and raise the larvae at home. Could easily find dead insects, I guess it would be getting the other bits right that might prove tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment