Pages

Sunday, February 21, 2021

The boys (and girls) of summer

Well, spring at least. As the temperatures last night were forecast to remain in double figures I decided to put the moth trap out for the first time this year. A quick look  at 10pm and I could see a couple of moths inside and another couple circling close.

When I went out at first light this morning I ended up with 6 species, one of which was only the second record for the garden. It's always nice to see the old familiar faces and get dredging the old grey matter for names not used for 10 months.

There were no beetles to liven up the catch but there was a leafhopper and a fly that need a name putting to them.

Common Quaker

Hebrew Character

Chestnut

Oak Beauty

March Moth - only the second garden record

Title inspiration is from this 1984 belter and one that always makes me smile despite being a slightly melancholic song



No comments:

Post a Comment