Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2020

Tiny rhino

I was checking out the UK Beetles Facebook page yesterday morning over breakfast and noticed a post about the increase in the weevil, Rhinocyllus conicus.

Originally this species was native to southern and central Europe, western Asia and North Africa. But in recent decades it has spread north and has made it to the U.K. Over here it was first restricted to southern coastal areas but following a recent and continuing expansion possibly due to a warming climate it is now reasonably common across England and Wales.

It was also used a biological agent in Canada during the first half of the 20th century to control introduced and invasive thistle species. It was successful but then turned its attention to native flora. Another example of humans underestimating the adaptability of nature.

Anyway, I saw the post. Looked up the species, discovered the above then went to the back of the garden where I pointed my suction sampler at a couple of ground height thistle rosettes with no particular expectation.

Thirty seconds later.....

Bingo.


It's a big weevil. This was approaching 6mm. I found two individuals from a single sample. So must be pretty common here I would imagine. Another new species for me and a particularly easy one to both find and ID.

2 comments:

  1. Smart beast, though I may have a bit of a wait until I can add it to my 1km square list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my hit list for sweeping this year.

    ReplyDelete