Pages

Friday, March 29, 2019

The Emperor's new clothes

So when I got home yesterday I found that a small package from Anglian Lepidopterist Supplies had arrived. Some replacement pheromone lures. This time I'd also added a Emperor moth lure to the order.

I've seen Emperor Moths a few times over the years but never well and never at rest. Not expecting much I put the lure in a piece of muslin and hung it from an old fennel stem.

I went to make a cuppa and then sat down on the garden bench. Literally, within 5 minutes I saw a flyby of what first appeared to be a butterfly but quickly realised it wasn't. It buzzed round my head and I netted and potted the beast before popping it in the fridge to cool it down.



As it warmed it showed its full glory. It really is a stunning looking moth. The only UK representative of the silk moth family. This male was obviously freshly emerged as it was in absolutely perfect condition.


I still can't quite believe that this occurs in my slightly boring Cambridgeshire garden!!

No comments:

Post a Comment