Pages

Friday, August 20, 2021

Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea

Crikey. It's easy to lose track of time. You take a deep breath and then suddenly 3 weeks have passed since your last post. To be fair things have been busy with trying to entertain holidaying kids in between work plus the weather here has been mostly 'Meh'. It now looks like one of those hot summer evenings with its accompanying beetles is off the menu for this year.

I've also been pondering why I post stuff on here. It's certainly not for the views or comments (and of both there are very few). I think it is more of a record for myself of the the stuff I get up to and see whilst exploring my little corner of natural history. For me it takes the place of the traditional notebook. I have a love/hate relationship with notebooks. Few things excite me more than a brand, spanking new quality notebook (Alwych are my brand of choice), as I plan all the amazingly detailed notes that I will take. But I very soon descend into scrappy, scruffy, short form and eventually just an incomplete list of stuff. The self loathing then kicks in. I usually get through about half a notebook before giving up, getting a new one and starting the whole process again. In 40 years of notebooks I never seem to learn. 

It's probably something to do with a very short attention span. I think that's why I quite like this medium as a matter of record. Suits my brain. I can post something short and sometimes sweet. It's recorded and then I can move on.

Anyway, that being said I will do 2 or 3 quick short posts catching up on some of the natural history highlights of the past few weeks, then it's there and I can look back at it at some point as my digital semi-notebook.

Last week I was visiting ageing relatives in East Yorkshire and whilst there the Black-browed Albatross that had been gracing RSPB Bempton with its presence decided to return. I haven't really ever done much twitching, however as it was only 30 mins away a last minute decision on my final morning found me cliff side only to be told that it had left 20 minutes before. Luckily, after an hour  it was refound sitting immediately below us and viewable about 150 metres from the main gannet colony.

Here it is in all its glory!

It is in there. Honest!

I could see it well enough to ID it (although not enough to separate it from a Campbell's Albatross) through my bins and one of the other birders let me have a squizz through his scope. It was a UK tick for me (my second avian one of the year), having seen them before in Australia and South America.

Here's an only slightly better pic of one from the Beagle Channel in 2006 whilst on my honeymoon!

Giddy with my success I went a bit further south along the coast to meet up with family for a spot of fossil hunting at the soft cliffs of Mappleton. The clay here is a glacial erratic, dumped here during previous ice ages and containing thousands of small Devonian fossils that were originally formed elsewhere and have ended up embedded in clay in East Yorkshire. Each high tide erodes more cliff and it frequently falls revealing more fossils as the tide retreats. We found a few interesting bits including a small ammonite partially covered in Fool's Gold.  

East Yorkshire or the opening sequence of the film Inception.

I hadn't visited for a while and had been hopeful of a few beetles but there is a distinct lack of water seeps on this section of coast and so beetles were confined to a thin section of vegetated sand around the protected area of beach.

There wasn't too much to write home about but I did record Calathus mollis for the second time and looking at the maps it seems to be the first time it's been recorded between Bridlington and Spurn.

At 7mm this was a small individual and I initially thought it might be another species. 

However, the pronotum shape was pretty typical and more transverse than similar species.

The keys don't always convey the extent of the hook on the right paramere, compared with C. micropterus

...but the aedeagus is more elongate in mollis

The post title link is to this classic from Iron Maiden. Never a big metal or indeed Maiden fan I am however a fan of the album, Live after Death which I was bought on a whim for Christmas 1985 and have remained fond of ever since. Although Bruce D's Brexit championing and subsequent realisation of the effects for live music has somewhat dulled that fondness... 

2 comments:

  1. Good hit with the albatross, mate!

    I totally get where you're coming from regards using your blog as a record for yourself, something to look back on in years to come. Certainly that's why I blog, I just choose to make it public which means adding a bit of humour to keep it (hopefully) entertaining and/or educational. It's quite enjoyable looking back and seeing how crap I was at something that I'm now better with, conversely it's sobering to look back and realise I used to be pretty good at some things which I'm now totally incompetent with. Interests come and go and a blog is a good way of documenting that.

    But mostly I'm in shock that you're not a Maiden fan. I may have to strike you from my reading list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it’s not just me that suffers from new note book syndrome! I have many unfinished volumes that I’ve begun and then abandoned over the years. Still I keep trying, hoping I can one day recover the focus I had as a 11-15 year old birder who made notes in the field then painstakingly transferred them into a log book along with drawings and photos. They’re great to look back on 40 years later. I’ve also just moved onto beetles and find myself on a very, very steep learning curve and adamant that I’ll keep a detailed hand written log. I live in hope…. Love the blog by the way.

    ReplyDelete