Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2021

That mystery aleoch

In the last post I mentioned that I had picked up a mystery aleoch whilst sieving moss in a woodland. I finally took a look at it today. It's been almost a week but what with lock down, being back at work and the dreaded home schooling I've just not got round to it. 

Anyway, enough excuses. When I looked down the miscroscope I was met with this


I usually just turn to the key but there's no need with this one despite being only 2.3mm in length. It's one that is reasonably frequently encountered and can be identified without reference to the dreaded key.

Overall it's quite pale and has small eyes.When you look closely you can see a couple of small bumps on the elytra (circled below). The central base of the pronotum is also flattened and sticks out a wee bit.


This specimen is a male and there is also a small keel to be found on the fifth visible tergite too (circled below). 

These features make this Geostiba circellaris. It's a common one and I guess could potentially be ID'd in the field although my skills aren't currently quite there yet! 


No comments:

Post a Comment