Pages

Friday, July 3, 2020

The first 600

Back in March I identified and recorded my 500th species of beetle. It had taken me about 5 years to get there, after a slow start. It has taken me just 3 months to see and identify the next 100 species. Which is averaging a tad over a new species a day.

I also have another 20-30 species sat in the fridge that I know are new but haven't got round to dissecting yet. There are also a few more that I'm not entirely confident on and need to have checked either by someone with more experience or by comparing them to known reference specimens.

I began the year with the desire to up my beetling game and to see and ID more species. I seem to be making some headway on that front. I've made good use of lots of different methods: sieving, sweeping, extraction and vacuuming. I've also expanded the sorts of places I look . The late winter beetling was definitely a highlight with my compost heap and flood debris sampling being particularly productive.

In February I told myself that 700 by the end of the year might be possible but then lock down hit and I gave up on that idea. It didn't matter as it's not really about the numbers for me, I just use it as a proxy for making sure that I continue to try and expand my horizons and learn new things. Although I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a kick from seeing new beetles. 😄

Having hit 600 half way through the year, I reckon another 100 or so beetles by the end of the year is a distinct possibility if I can keep my focus and not be distracted by other things.

So what was number 600. It was Hydrochus ignicollis, which came to light last week.
 

2 comments:

  1. That's just fantastic! I remember thinking at the start of the year, "hang on, I've seen shedloads more beetles than he has" and now you're completely whupping my tally. Great stuff, very impressive and I think you'll smash that 700 by year end. 1000 by end of next year??? You'll benefit from a bit of time away from your home turf (so if you're heading to Scotland anytime soon....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, if you ever get bored I have 12 acres of ancient woodland on the NE side of York, varied habitat, lots and lots of dead wood, we need a beetle guy, we're up to just over 400 species of moth but struggling to find anyone to help with the other orders. Keep up the good work, regards
    David Watkins davidwatkins1@mail.com

    ReplyDelete