Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2019

A Royal midget?

So last week I decided to have a go at rearing some leaf mines. 

Now I had actually been looking for weevils associated with Salix spp. but I found these mines on a large weeping willow and thought they looked about right. So I picked a few leaves.....



I wrapped them in some damp paper towel, put them in and old ice cream tub and then waited....


Yesterday this moth emerged. Not the beetle I was expecting....



I got it down to a species of Phyllonorycter but that was as far as I could get. Cue Facebook Micromoth page help request.

So it appears to be Phyllonorycter pastorella, and quite possibly new for Cambridgeshire and VC29, so not too bad given it wasn't a beetle.

This species was found in west Norfolk in 2018 so probably no surprise to find it here now.

And as part of the plan to give all moths an English name, this has been blessed with the moniker of Royal Midget!

No comments:

Post a Comment