Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

The Imperial Guard Beetle

After 3 full days at Bird Fair, I've had a couple of days off to recover. Yesterday was mostly spend just sitting around not doing much but today the kids and I got out for a few hours to stretch our legs. 

An explore down the banks of the River Cam plus a trip to Wicken kept all fully entertained. I even managed a beetle tick. Now in birder's parlance this was a 'tart's tick', i.e. one that everyone should have seen. 

The reasonably common Anthocomus rufus.


I first saw a single individual on some Purple Loosestrife before then finding them pretty much everywhere!

They are a beautiful beetle when seen up close, but at about 4.5mm you need to get them under a hand lens or microscope to appreciate them properly.


But for some reason all I can think of when I see them is an Imperial Guard from Star Wars


Weird, the tricks the brain plays!

No comments:

Post a Comment