Pages

Monday, May 6, 2019

Jam and the Thicks

Just back from a  a cheeky weekend away with the family in Suffolk. There wasn't too much time for natural history but I ended up with few new plants and other bit sand bobs. The weekend was memorable (from a nat hist perspective) for two specific encounters.

The Saturday forecast looked mixed, with sunny spells punctuated with heavy showers. Wanting to get out and tire the kids out, we headed to Rendlesham Forest, knowing that there was plenty of cover should the heavens open.

On arrival, I noticed a few birders lined up with scopes set up. I stopped the car and asked a couple what they were there to see. Only a blooming adult male Red-footed Falcon! What a bird to jam on in. I've seen a couple of females before but not an adult male. So a plumage tick, if there is such a thing.

Apparently it had been there for a couple of weeks, hanging around the air strip. And I had no idea....
A lucky coincidence. Weirdly the family didn't quite believe me...

Can you see it?

The second encounter happened that evening.

I've been visiting coastal Suffolk for a good few years now, and every time I drive to Orford I always pass a piece of woodland that looks bloody amazing. Like something out of a fairy tale. I always intend to stop but never do.

This time I had a couple of hours to kill so decided to go and check it out. It didn't disappoint although these pictures will....

I have never seen so many ancient oaks, and so much dead wood. It was amazing. The other thing was the hollies. Not the band but bloody massive holly trees. Trunks of over a metre diameter, some with big rot holes, some upwards of 20m in height.

A holly tree. That crack is the width of my foot!

A pollarded oak

Dead wood!

Holly and more dead wood

More dead wood

I pootled a round for a while before heading back for my tea. I looked on the map and found that the wood is called Staverton Park and the Thicks. A quick google informed be that it is an SSSI and home to some truly ancient oak trees, many of which are pollarded, plus possibly the UK's largest holly trees.

The site is private but a footpath runs through it and this alone gives you a sense of the place. It felt wild and offers a hint of what once was.

And let's end with something appropriate...

No comments:

Post a Comment