Pages

Monday, June 15, 2015

Voldemort's monocle

Mothing is still dire in my little garden just north of Cambridge. Last Friday netted just over 20 species, but overall number was 35ish. There are quite a few species that just haven't appeared this year. The one that I really notice the absence of is Ruby Tiger. It was one of the most frequent visitors last year, and I'm now wondering that if I've caught none of the first brood, whether I'll see any of the second later in the year.

The first hawkmoths of the year have appeared, with singles of Privet and Poplar, but as yet no repeat of last year's Goat Moth....

I did get a new species for the garden a week or so ago. Hence the title of the post.

Can you guess? Yep, Dark Spectacle



A rather smart moth and checking my records one that was actually a lifer. Mid-week is looking reasonable so will have the trap out Tuesday and Wednesday this week in the vague hope of improving numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment