Pages

Monday, April 27, 2015

It's oh so quiet...

...and I'm hoping that like the Bjork song there will be a large eruption of noise (read moths) at some point. God I need that. Some pugs would be good.... some micros....

Moth trapping has been rubbish over the last week or so. Most mornings have seen only one or two individuals and most of them aren't in the trap but hiding at various points around the outside of the house, so take a bit of finding. The Early Thorn was found on a patio bench in the afternoon as I'd failed to notice it when checking the trap...


An Early Thorn doing it's best to look like a dried leaf

Pebble Prominent found on brick wall away from the trap

I did manage a very quick trip to Lakenheath RSPB reserve on Sunday with the family. It was a bit rushed but saw and heard my first Cuckoo of the year plus lots of other summer migrants. A booming Bittern was also nice.

I used to visit a lot about 7-8 years ago and what I noticed this time is that the RSPB have changed and landscaped things so that you are pushed towards the visitor centre rather than up onto the bank to overlook the washes and thus onto the public footpath. I can see why but I got confused as I wanted a view to scan for Garganey and it took me a while to find the right path.

Maybe I'm getting old but I preferred it in the old days!



1 comment:

  1. It's re-assuring to know that others out there are looking at empty traps!

    ReplyDelete