Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2020

We went to see the fall of Rome

Numbers in the moth trap were much lower this week but included most of the Autumnal species that one would expect to see in this part of VC29. Bycatch of other species has really dropped off since the last of the warm summer evenings, pretty much limited to craneflies, wasps and the odd ladybird. 

A fly in the moth trap this week caught my eye. I have seen this species before but I have never had a proper look at one and more importantly never actually recorded it.


It's a female Sargus bipunctatus, also known Twin-spot Centurion, a species of soldierfly. It's a relatively common autumn species across most of England, but iRecord still sends me an automated email to tell me that my record is outside of the known range. I suspect it does this every time a new 10km square is filled in. 


2 comments:

  1. I've had that same notification crop up for Beadlet Anemone, amongst a coastline peppered with NBN dots. Hence I'm not sure if it's a new 10k square that invokes it, or if sometimes it's just bloody random!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's a tad confusing sometimes. However, I will persevers...

      Delete