Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2020

A new Anotylus?

I've not been up to much natural history for the last couple of weeks as the weather has not been the best and work has been rather frenetic. What snatched moments I've had have been given over to working through the beetle backlog that is currently residing in my fridge.

In mid August, when the moth traps were delivering good numbers of cool beetles I took a few specimens of Anotylus rove beetles. Anotylus rugosus is a really common visitor to light and I see it frequently from spring to late summer. Most of the ones I see are the all-black form but they also come in slightly paler form with redder elytra. I'd not seen or looked at the paler ones so decided to take a couple for a proper look.

The easy way to tell them is that they have a crenulate (wavy) edge to the pronotum and a clypeus (front of the head) that is dull and matt due to microsculpture.

In the picture below you can see both these features in the right hand individual.

2 female Anotylus

A couple of the Anotylus (see left hand beetle in above and below image) didn't have the matt clypeus in fact it was the same shininess as the rest of the head. Going through the key this suggests that these must be A. insecatus. This would be a new species for me. The left hand individual has less extensive striations on the top of the head and slightly smaller eyes which both seem to fit with this ID.

When viewed side by side the presumed insecatus is also more generally shiny


Annoyingly, the two individuals caught were both female so I couldn't check the abdominal sternite feature in the key, although I have to admit to struggling with this on other species. Just need to compare these to paler rugosus females now.....

 

No comments:

Post a Comment