Pages

Friday, October 16, 2020

Came from the skies

The new beetles keep on coming. But out of the fridge now that I've put a pause on collecting anything at the moment. I need to finish the back log of IDs and records before I'll allow myself to do some sieving of the compost heaps at the end of the garden.

There are still several tubes left of light trap beetles to deal with. First up  this week was Stegobium paniceum, also known as the Drugstore Beetle. This is the only member of its genus. It is found across the world and apparently is one of the most frequently encountered pest species, infesting a very wide range of stored products. First time I've seen it though.



The other new species for me from the last trawl was my second species of Monotoma. On the right you can see the really common Monotoma picipes but on the left is what I think is Monotoma longicollis. It's smaller, shinier and the pronotum is widest at the front.


There is still a long way to go....

Title inspiration is appropriately this one 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment