Pages

Saturday, June 8, 2019

In this light and on this evening

I've just returned from a second week in Scotland (more on both soon).
On a day at home to do washing between the two trips, I ran the moth trap for the first time in a while.
I had 45 plus species of moth including the first hawkmoths of the year and lots of other species I'd not seen for a while.

Privet Hawkmoth

At the bottom of the actinic trap I noticed a smallish carabid running about which I assumed was going to be a Bradycellus species. A quick check and I could see it was something different but I wasn't sure what.  I ran it a couple of times through the key and came out quite easily to Anthracus consputus.

Closely related to Acupalpus species this is the only UK member of its genus. It's found under stones and leaf litter on damp soils. And apparently it sometimes comes to light. Always good to see a new species of carabid!

 Anthracus consputus


No comments:

Post a Comment