Pages

Wednesday, May 15, 2019

The weevil that men do


A walk around the reserve at lunchtime revealed a few weevils that had emerged over the recent period of good weather.

On some kind of ornamental thistle species, numbers of Larinus planus were beginning to rival those of Hairy Shieldbug.

Larinus planus
These are big as weevils go and as with most weevils they just drop from their perch as soon as they sense danger. There were several pairs doing their best to continue the evolutionary line, that were slightly less attentive to my camera lens, and who can blame them.

I then found a small patch of Common Figwort and scanned for the associated weevil species. I counted 3 species within a couple of minutes and without looking too hard. I'll have to come back again and see if I can find any of the others.

Cionus hortulanus

Cionus scrophulariae

Cionus tuberculosus

No comments:

Post a Comment