Pages

Friday, July 6, 2018

Elsie's Beetle

I love Tanner Beetles Prionius coriarius. They are massive and they look like they mean business. I mean you really wouldn't want to bump into to one at night down a dark alley. It would have your wallet off you soon as wave an antenna at you.

Just look at it....



I have only ever seen them at the RSPB headquarters at the Lodge and all have been around a single building there. My first was back in 2006 and my latest was today. This particular individual was found beneath the MV moth trap that is occasionally run and by the afternoon had crawled up the side of the building and was just sat on a wall.

They are magnificent creatures. What I noticed today was that the eyes can see below and above at the same time. Each eye wraps round the entire side of each head. The two sets of palps were also much in evidence and were constantly moving but not actually touching anything.  
                                                    

I did try to think of a witty title but it was either leather or old Coronation Street characters. I went with the latter! Quite the resemblance......

Image result for elsie tanner

2 comments:

  1. I have a very poor record of bumping into these 'flagship' beetles Martin - must be doing something wrong, my 'beetle radar' is obviously skewed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These ones aren't that easy but The lodge seems to have a relatively healthy population.

      Delete