Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Anglo Saxon treasure

I've just spent a rather lovely bank holiday weekend on the Suffolk coast, staying in the village of Thorpeness and visiting a few locales. Typically a family break but I did manage a few snatched hours out birding in the early mornings. These yielded my first Ring Ouzel and Nightingales of the year plus many other common migrants.

There was also some time for beetling on Dunwich Heath and surroundings and I have a few beetles still left to ID.

On the last day we paid a visit to Sutton Hoo, (the site of some Anglo Saxon burial mounds and treasure including a famous helmet) as one of my sons has a fascination with history. The set up was frankly a bit crap (they didn't really know who their audience was) but there were a couple of nice circular walks (with singing Nightingales thrown in) to do there.

Whilst meandering the paths I came across the following cranefly which stood out from the couple of Tipula maxima it was with. A female Ptychoptera albimana, and although being common, completely new to me.

Reinforces that there's always new stuff to see, wherever you are.


No comments:

Post a Comment