Pages

Monday, February 10, 2020

More tiny genitalia

I've yet to identify a Ptilid down to species level. I'm getting better at recognising the more common genera but I've struggled to go further.

So I can eyeball this one and be pretty sure it's an Acrotrichis.


Part of the problem has been with the dissection because a) they get no bigger than 1mm and b) you then have to find what you're looking for and get it in a state that is recognisable. 
Basically, I've just not been finding any genitalia.
Until now....
I had 4 individuals to practice on, so I got into a pattern.
  1. Remove the head from the abdomen.
  2. Manoeuvre the 2 micropins into the hole left by the head.
  3. Gently separate the 2 halves of the abdomen.
  4. Look in the end section of the abdomen for the bit you want and then remove it.
  5. Get it on a slide under the compound microscope.
This worked and I was getting a spermatheca or aedaegus each time. Result!

I added a spermatheca to a drop of water but was honestly none the wiser!


Clive W on the Facebook page, suggested immersion in glycerol instead. Luckily I had some to hand.


The difference was amazing. I could see a lot of the fine detail. What an amazing structure. As someone else summed it up: it's like someone has been and violated a toy trumpet.

I flicked through the images in Duff Volume 1 and lo and behold this spermatheca is a dead ringer for Acrotrichus fascicularis, and one of the more commonly encountered species. Another new species for me and my first ptilid. 

Bring on the rest of them....

5 comments:

  1. Great stuff! Is vegetable glycerine the same sort of stuff you use? Is that suitable for this sort of thing? Every time I've decapitated and dissected a featherwing I end up with pale mush and body chitin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, sainsbury's finest! Turns out the bits you want are in a small separate internal compartment right at the end of the abdomen.

      Delete
  2. Cool, I'm in England later this month so shall add Sainsbury's to my "must visit" list - along with B&Q for a 5 litre tub of isopropanol and ScrewFix for some new work boots. Oh such joys....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. is the isopropanol for specimen storage? England? your beetle list will rocket :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, specimen storage. In particular for terrestrial nemerteans and flatworms, of which there are plenty up here. The last batch I sent off to the lab were too degraded to do anything with. But they were in vodka, so not surprising really!

      Delete